Email marketing has been around for decades, but it is one of the digital marketing tools that businesses continually take advantage of the most. Many other tools have come into existence since the inception of email marketing, but yet it still remains one of the most effective forms of marketing around. Offering the potential of a very high ROI, email marketing can help you reach and attract new customers, as well as engage and retain your current customer base.
So… if you’re wondering whether or not an older marketing channel like email is really worth giving a try for your business, when all these other new and often exciting forms of reaching customers are available, the answer is still a resounding YES!
Don’t believe us? Keep reading below for 10 of the most eye-catching statistics and research out there concerning the effects of email marketing – proving its power as an essential marketing tool, not only for decades past, but also for 2020 and beyond.
- A good email marketing strategy is guaranteed to make you money. You can expect a return of $38 for every $1 you spend. That’s an ROI of 3,800%!
- Email helps you reach new and current customers fast. Your potential and current customers checks their inboxes often. Over 20% of opened emails are opened within the first hour after being sent, and over 40% are opened after three hours.
- Consumers prefer email over others forms of brand communication. In fact, 7 in 10 US consumers across all age groups and genders prefer to receive email from businesses over direct mail and even mobile messaging.
- Consumers want to receive emails from you often. About 86% of adults want to receive promo emails at least once a month, and about 15% would like to receive them daily.
- Email has some of the best engagement rates. With an average open rate of 22.15% and an average click-through rate of 3.43%, email beats engagement on social media, which averages at about 0.09% across all industries.
- B2B audiences see email as a trusted source of information. This is why 93% of B2B marketers are leveraging email marketing! Email is the third most influential source of information for B2B audiences, which means that business professionals see it as a trusted source of information that they like learning from.
- Marketing emails influence the decision to buy. 59% of respondents surveyed said that marketing emails influence their purchase decisions, and just over 50% buy from marketing emails at least once a month.
- Email is very effective at driving purchases. Email marketing accounts for nearly 20% of business transactions, trailing only paid search and organic traffic by a small amount.
- Consumers who buy from marketing emails are more likely to spend more money. Compared to people who shop online but who do not receive promo emails, consumers who buy products online after seeing them marketed through email end up spending 138% more during their shopping session.
- Sending a series of abandoned cart emails is a winning strategy to retrieve customers and transactions. If a potential customer left your site without purchasing the items they added to their cart, sending them at least three abandoned cart emails results in 69% more orders being completed than if you just sent one email.
Well, the numbers say it all, don’t they? Email marketing is alive and well in 2020, and it looks like it will be for many more years (and possibly decades) to come! We’d love it if you would share your experience with email marketing so far this year in the comments below!